Thursday, August 18, 2005

Fiddle on the Roof 2005

Whilst watching the heartbreaking scenes of the synagogue evacuations in the Jewish villages of Gaza, I am constantly reminded of Fiddler on the Roof. The inhabitants were trying to scratch out a pleasant, simple tune without breaking their necks, or having their necks broken for them. Why did they stay there if it was so dangerous? Well, they stayed because it was their home.


What do they leave? Nothing much. Only Gaza, and a seaport for terrorists to bring in better weapons and an enclave of safe terrorist bases closer to Israel’s cities. Intimate, obstinate Kfar Darom, Gaza, where they knew everyone they met. Soon they will be strangers in a strange new place, searching for an old familiar face.

They belong in Gaza, tumble-down, work-a-day Gaza.

Dear little villages, little towns of theirs.

And with apologies for some minor editing to update the age old Jewish struggle for a place to live:

Officer: Your people must leave all the villages. The entire district must be emptied! I have an order here!

Papa (sadly): And you, you who have known us all your life, you’d carry out their order?

Officer (innocently): I’ve nothing to do with it! Don’t you understand? I wish you wouldn’t say this to me!

Papa: I understand, suppose we refuse to go, you will force us out?

Man I: We will defend ourselves.

Man II: We won’t move!

Man III: We will stay in our homes!

Man IV: We will keep our land!

People: Fight!!!!!!

Officer: Against our border police? Our army? I wouldn’t advise that

Papa: I have some advice for you. Get off my land; this is still my home, my land. Get off my land!

Man V: A piece of paper and get them out. Let’s get together with the people of Neve Dekalim. Maybe they have a plan. We should defend ourselves!

People: An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth!

Papa: Very good. That way the whole world will be blind and toothless.

Motel: Rabbi, we’ve been waiting for the Messiah all our lives. Wouldn’t this be a good time for him to come?

Rabbi: We will have to wait for him someplace else. Meanwhile, let’s start packing.

No comments:

Post a Comment