Monday, December 21, 2009

May Saab rest in pieces. And a warning to Spyker.

Although this blog may not be a formal consumer bashing forum, when the spectre of government ownership of GM first arose, I felt that it had become a politicial issue. GM entered the political arena by its search for direct government funding. So, now I feel free to explain why I hope Saab rests in pieces.

I will be delighted if the manufacturer of the worst car that I have ever owned goes out of business. In fact, the Saab was the worst car that I have ever experienced, whether owning, renting or taking rides from others, and it was also the worst car experience of one of my friends. I say this, even as one who had the misfortune to own a British Leyland monstrosity that a GM built Saab was my worst ever. I have vowed never to buy a GM again and to spread the word. Please note that I have also owned a Talbot Horizon which is equivalent to a Dodge Omni, and the aforementioned Austin Maestro, so it had some unhealthy competition.

The Saab that I owned was shockingly dreadful and things broke simply by people looking at the car. I hope Saab go back to concentrating on fighter planes, although I hope that Sweden never have to rely on them in battle. They will lose. It is a good job that the Saab 900 SE convertible that I unfortunately owned did not have an ejector seat, otherwise I would have used it.

My Saab had all sorts of failures which cost me thousands of dollars just to keep it on the road. The final straw came when it suddenly stopped working altogether, and I had it towed to a GM dealership. After 2 weeks of the dealership promising me everyday it would be ready and was being fixed as we spoke, I called a lovely lady called Heather at GM's HQ. She tried to find out from the dealer what was taking so long but also had no joy. In the end, she reported to me that my car was old because it was nearly 7 years of age and therefore I should replace it with the new model. I said that the car had cost over $60,000 when new, and she was telling me that it will not last 7 years. Heather confirmed that this was correct and I could not expect it to last forever. I replied that I hoped GM go out of business, because I had a 17 year old Toyota MR2 that was running just fine, and which cost me a pittance to keep running. Heather told me "fat chance, we are bigger than Toyota". Hmm, today I think, fat chance indeed, even though Heather is probably having the last laugh as my taxes are keeping her in a job.

As soon as possible after that conversation, I got rid of the GM car in a trade in and I must truly apologize to Mazda at this point. 

Car reporters neglect to tell us when a car is an absolute waste of time and money because of their need for relationships with manufacturers. Well, I am here to tell you now that such terrible cars are primarily made by GM now. Not only Saab, but the whole of GM deserves to be out of business. And their cars are and for that reason alone, I still hope that they ultimately collapse. The Aztec even "out-uglied" the Ford Granada Frog Face, which is a monstrous sight that I never thought I would live to see.
Instead of buying GM and Chrsyler, it would have been cheaper for governments to set up a single new car maufacturer with appropriate union contracts, and a clean slate when designing for the future. $100 Billion would go a good way to this new project. We should save our tax dollars, and not support a company that produces shoddy inferior goods, and one which will just need another handout in a few months.

Good riddance to Saab.
 
Spyker, don't do it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment